Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Get Online Access Support
• Eli M. Oboler Library • 850 S. 9th Avenue • Stop 8089 • Pocatello, Idaho, USA 83209 •
Site Feedback - Library Webmaster
Licensing Restrictions for Use of Electronic Resources
Frequently Asked Questions About:
Who can use interlibrary loan?
- Faculty, staff and students currently affiliated with Idaho State University
- Faculty, staff and students not at the Pocatello Campus
I'm a Community/Registered Borrow. Can I use interlibrary loan?
- No. Please contact your local public library for interlibrary loan services.
What can be ordered via interlibrary loan?
- Videos, CDs, books on tape/CD, or other media
- Please note, these items are difficult to obtain as many libraries will not lend media. Also, many items have short check-out periods (as little as two days) and may be restricted to use only within the Library ("Library Use Only").
- Newspaper microfilm
- Copies of articles or book chapters
- Due to licensing restrictions, "Online Only" or "Electronically Published Ahead of Print" (e-pub) items are difficult to obtain.
What CANNOT be ordered via interlibrary loan? Why?
- Ebooks - Due to licensing restrictions, libraries are not able to lend e-books.
- Textbooks - Most interlibrary loan items have very short check-out periods and cannot be kept for an entire semester.
- Books (or other loans) for faculty, students, staff not located at the Idaho Falls, Meridian or Pocatello campuses. We are unable to mail books directly to patrons. If you need to borrow anything that needs to be returned to the lending library, please contact your local public library.
- Items owned by the ISU Libraries.
- If an item is checked out to another patron, please place a recall on the item.
- If an item is not located on the shelf, please place a the item "On Search" at the Main Circulation Desk.
How long does it take to receive an item via Interlibrary Loan?
- The average is two weeks. However, many items, especially copies, arrive much quicker.
- Some items can take much longer, depending on where the item is located.
How do I order items?
- Please click on the tab that best fits your needs.
Can I have my grad/student assistant order materials for me?
- We do not recommend this practice. Ultimately, the person wanting materials is responsible for them and should submit the request. If you would like an assistant to order materials for you, you will need to provide him/her with your ISU ID number. Do so at your own risk.
Can I "Rush" my order?
- No. We do not support "rush" services at this time.
- Please contact the Reference Department to locate similar, suitable resources available in the ISU Libraries. You may contact the Reference Desk at (208) 282-3152 or email@example.com.
How many requests can I have at one time?
- You can have up to 20 requests "open" at one time. The following statuses are considered "Open." Any other status is considered "Closed" and will not count against your requests.
- Request in Process
- Request Ordered
- In Transit to Circulation Desk
- In Transit to ISU Library, Idaho Falls
- In Transit to ISU Library, Meridian
- Available for Check Out
- Checked Out to Customer
- Renewal Granted
- Renewal DENIED
Where do I pick up my books?
- It depends upon the Delivery Location selected when registering for your ILLiad Interlibrary Loan account.
- Pocatello, Oboler Library - Items are available at the Main Circulation Desk of the Oboler Library. (Hours)
- Idaho Falls, ISU Library - Items are available at the ISU Library, Idaho Falls. (Hours)
- Meridian, ISU Library - Items are available at the ISU Library, Meridian. (Hours)
How soon do I need to pick up my book(s)? How long will you hold book(s)?
- Items need to be picked up within two weeks. After that time, items not picked up will be returned to the lending library. You will receive a cancellation notice in your @isu.edu email account. If you receive a cancellation notice, but still need the item, contact the ILL Office immediately at (208) 282-3127 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (You can also reply to the cancellation notice.)
- Items designated as Library Use Only will be available until the due date.
I am unable to pick up the item in person. What can I do?
- Faculty and Staff, please contact the Main Circulation Desk (208) 282-3248 for a Runner's Card. Your grad/student assistant will be able to pick up the item for you.
- Students, please contact the ILL Department for special arrangements.
- Please note: You are responsible for items and any fees accrued, regardless of who picks up the item.
How long can I keep my ILL item?
- Due dates are set by the lending library and range anywhere from a few days to six weeks.
Can I renew my ILL?
- Possibly. The lending library will set renewal options. If renewed, the new check out period can vary from a few days to six weeks.
- Items marked "Renewals Allowed: No" on the blue bookstrap cannot be renewed.
How do I renew ILL materials?
- You can request renews for items via your ILLiad Interlibrary Loan account. (Instructions)
- DO NOT contact the lending library directly. We will not be notified and our systems will not be updated accordingly, creating overdue and/or lost item fees.
How many times can I renew my ILL?
- Items can usually be renewed once. Some libraries may allow a second renewal; however, the item is often renewed for only an additional one or two weeks.
- If you need items longer, you will need to return the item and submit a new request. Please note, you can only place two consecutive requests for one title. If you need the item for longer time, please contact the Library regarding purchase of the item or purchase for your personal collection.
How will I be notified when an item is available?
- You will receive an email in your @isu.edu email account.
- For items on loan that must be returned, the notice will provide a Pick-up location.
- Due to space limitations, items are held for two weeks. After that time, any items not picked up will by returned to the lending library.
- Scanned items (yours to keep) will be delivered electronically into your ILLiad Interlibrary Loan account.
- In rare instances, licensing restriction force us to mail the item to you.
Can I use a different email address instead of my @isu.edu address?
- No. At this time, system limitations require us to use your regular ISU email address (email@example.com). You may forward this address to your preferred account.
Can I have my ILL book mailed to my home or delivered to my office?
- No. At this time we are not supporting home or office delivery.
How do I check the status of a request?
I don't need the item any longer, can I cancel my request?
- It depends upon the status. If the status is "Request Received," your request can be canceled. However, if the status is "Request Ordered," or 'In Transit to [location]," your request has been sent to the lending library and likely cannot be canceled. Please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office for more information.
How do I cancel my Interlibrary Loan Request?
- To cancel a request that has a status of "Request Received"
- Log in to your ILLiad Interlibrary Loan Account
- Scroll down the new ILLiad web page and locate the OUTSTANDING REQUESTS.
- Identify the request you wish to cancel.
- Select the ACTIONS dropdown menu and select the CANCEL REQUEST option.
Dissertations and theses available through ProQuest Dissertations and Theses A&I can be purchased for your personal collection through the Interlibrary Loan Office. The Library provides this service on a cost-recovery basis.
Average cost is $33 for a PDF file and will be charged to your Library Account when the item arrives. (Price is set by ProQuest and may change without notice. You will be notifies if the fee is higher.)
Please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at 208-282-3127 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information or to place an order.